Llandow Circuit
Llandow Circuit
Llandow, Cowbridge, Vale of Glamorgan
South Wales, UK CF71 7PB

Tel: 01446 796460
Email: info@llandow.com

In the 1940’s Llandow was a Second World War airfield home Mark 1 & 2 Spitfires and part of the Canadian Air Force. After being decommissioned by the Air Ministry in 1957, the site was offered for sale by auction in 1961.
Jack Evans, a local farmer with a vision for the future bought an 80-acre parcel, which included stretches of runway air raid shelters and retractable gun turrets. With the help of the South Wales Automobile Club he linked the runways to form a 1-mile oval circuit and Llandow Race Circuit was created.

Lola's racing at Llandow
The Circuit was opened in 1963 by Graham Hill and in the hay days of the mid 60’s & early 70’s both car and motorbike racing were regular events drawing crowds of 3 – 4,000. Entries from budding stars such as Roger Clark, Jody Schuter and Andy Rause cut their teeth in those early days at the Circuit

.A period of uncertainty followed in the 1980’s when stock car racing, grass tracking and a sheep obstacle course become the more usual uses for the tarmac, which was by now showing it’s age and become tired. A race and rally school, the addition of a Go Kart track and some general testing kept the site ticking over until the owners, the descendents of Jack Evans, took the plunge and resurfaced the track with a 9 metre wide strip of quality tarmac.The lumps and bumps were smoothed out, a few interesting bends added and most importantly the sheep removed!! Bike racing at Llandow

The ongoing up grade to the infrastructure continues and regular users of the Circuit are seeing a continuing programme on improvements.A Motor Sport Association Sprint licence was re established in March 2001 following the resurfacing work and the addition of extra runoff areas!

If you have any history, memories, programmes or posters concerning the Circuit please let us know as we would be very pleased to hear from you.